I love love love watercolor. I love it on phone cases, home decor, even tote bags. It’s pretty hard to actually watercolor those things so I decided to create a cool Faux Sharpie Watercolor Tote Bag. This idea is made using alcohol and sharpies. There was some trial and error but if you read our tips and tricks yours is sure to turn out great. We took this bag a step further and added this cute quote. We got it from a crafting membership website called Makers Gonna Learn. Its an exclusive die cutting community that you definitely want to be a part of. It has cut files for every occasion and new ones added each month.
- Tote Bag
- Light/Pastel Colored Sharpies
- 91% Isopropyl Alcohol
- Spray Bottle
- Cricut Maker
- Weeding Tool Set
- EasyPress Mat
- Black Glitter Iron-On
- Lay your tote bag onto a towel, and with your sharpies scribble patches all over the bag. Make sure there are no empty spaces. Using only light or pastel colors will ensure that the alcohol will spread the colors well. As you can see we used all sorts of colors and the deeper ones like red and blue didn’t spread well when the alcohol was applied.
- Pour your alcohol into a spray bottle and start spraying your bag. The ink should start to spread and bleed into your other colors creating a really nice watercolor pattern. Spray until you’re satisfied and toss the bag into the dryer or let it air dry for the day.
- Once the bag is dry preheat your EasyPress then cut and weed your quote.
- Lay the bag on the EasyPress mat, position the quote, and heat the area 30 seconds at a time.
- Once the bag has cooled peel off the transfer sheet.
I love how this turned out. DIY Watercolor crafts aren’t as hard to make as you might think. If you’re looking for a fun teen craft or an easy summer craft this is the one for you. I hope you enjoyed learning how to make your own Faux Sharpie Watercolor Tote Bag!