Hey, y’all. It’s Allie and I’m back with a recipe for the ULTIMATE Oatmeal Sandwich Cookie.
You want a great cookie for making a fun sandwich. It can’t be too crumbly, nor too soft. It can’t be too dry, or too moist. This is a GREAT cookie. They’re yummalicious alone, but they make AMAZING sandwiches to fill with frosting, ice cream, etc.
Ingredients for the ULTIMATE Oatmeal Sandwich Cookie
- 7 tbsp. softened butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- one egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cup oats (old fashioned)
- one cup chocolate chips
- one quarter cup chopped pecans
Baking the ULTIMATE Oatmeal Sandwich Cookie
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla.
- Sift or mix flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add to wet ingredients.
- Add oats, nuts and chocolate chips.
- Use a large scoop and get it nicely filled, no overlap, nice and compact. I like to bake on a jellyroll pan with a silpat liner. I bake four cookies at a time for twelve minutes.
- If you are making an ice cream sandwich, you may want to press the cookies down after they come out of the oven. Otherwise, let them sit for about ten minutes, then remove from the pan.
- Let cookies cool, and fill with your favorite filling.
This recipe makes 12 large cookies, or 6 really good sized sandwiches.
ULTIMATE Oatmeal Sandwich Cookie FILLINGS
We like nutella, cream cheese frosting, sweetened cream cheese or cheesecake filling, marshmallow creme, and my favorite, a little vanilla ice cream mixed with cinnamon. We’ve also done jam, peanut butter, etc. Lots of fun.
Baking a few at a time seems to make ALL the difference. You can multiply this recipe, but I have a small family and really, this is the perfect size! If you are making the ice cream sandwiches, press them when they come out, and let them cool completely. I like to slightly soften the ice cream and “pipe” it out, then wrap the cookie sandwich in saran wrap and place in the freezer. Let them sit a few minutes before serving.
You can experiment with the ingredients. White chocolate and craisins with pecans makes a pretty incredible cookie. It goes well with a cream cheese frosting in the middle.
If you try this recipe, I hope you’ll gimme a shout and let me know how y’all liked it. I especially love pictures!